Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Words with Quilts

Here's some of my more recent quilted items that speak many words for me...


These are some pillows I made for my friend Janine's children.  They lost their family dog Daley and it was very hard on the kids.  I asked if there was anything I could do to help and Janine asked if I could make anything with the fabric from his dog bed.  I came up with these two pillows...featuring the red and black checked dog bed fabric and the dog's picture on the pockets.  The kids were very comforted by them.

Last fall my dear sister-in-law Anna was diagnosed with early stages of breast cancer.  Her prognosis was very good, however she faced surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.  All very draining physically as well as mentally.

She's in Texas and I'm in Michigan so I couldn't physically lend my support.  Scheming in my head, I asked what is her favorite flower...she says carnation.  Now if she had said tulip or daisy or rose I was all set...but carnation???  How do I quilt that!  So I wracked my brain while trying lots of different things with paper and pencil...and came up a triple layered flower in pink (for breast cancer!) Voila...carnation! 

Anna loves her pillow.  She brought it to her chemo treatments, kept her i-pod in the pocket and listened to music while she hugged the pillow.  Almost like I was there holding her hand.  Love you babe!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment